Thursday, April 9, 2015

Broken pipes

The projects never cease, ha ha ha. I recently started a job. It's on call, which I love. I work ten hour shifts. It's only 6 miles from my house, which I like because in traffic, I still can get home in 10-12 minutes. Yesterday it began snowing in the afternoon. It was slushy. Then it warmed up slightly and it rained. I felt like I was in Washington. Last night I went to lock up the hens, I heard a hissing sound from sprinkler system. There appeared to be several leaks. I went in to get hubby. We go out to the cover to shut off the water, and water shot out like a geyser. The pipe broke before the shut off. Hubby went next door, and lur neighbor said the other access cover( there are two) should also have a shut off. It was covered by 6-8 inches of water. Luckily, the shut off wasn't broken. The good thing is, the water line is to the canal water, there is no meter to it. I was angry though, because I know I read somewhere that the water wasn't suppose to be turned on till the middle of April. My neighbor told me I was correct. He even questioned why they turned it on, as it was snowing and raining.
The good thing is there wasn't any damage. Just one more thing to put on the to do list.
On the plus note, my compost pile got good and wet. Since the canal water is on, I can now water it regularly. I am hoping it will be broken down by fall, so I can mix it into what will be a garden area for next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment